The COLA Individual Artist Fellowship allows accomplished artists to create new work with increased freedom to innovate and experiment.
The Fellowship Program grant category honors a spectrum of the City’s most creative artists who:
- Are dedicated to an ongoing body of excellent work.
- Represent a relevant progression through their pieces or series.
- Exemplify a generation of core ideas in their field.
- Are respected by their peers and are role models for other artists because of their distinguished record.
Twelve to fifteen COLA Fellowships will be offered in the disciplines of design/visual arts (including architecture, graphic design and product design such as fashion design), literary arts (poetry or fiction) and performing arts (including choreography-dance, music, and multi-disciplinary/theater).
The Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) will organize a museum exhibition, a performing arts showcase, and an online catalog to document and market the selected artists and their new works as one cross-section of the exciting Los Angeles art scene.
Successful applicants are:
- Individual artists or an independent duo.
- Current residents of Los Angeles County, who also demonstrate on their resumes that they either live in the City of Los Angeles or have a 3 or more year history of presenting work in the City of Los Angeles.
- Professionals who illustrate on their resume at least 15 years (8 years for choreographer-dancers) of a progressive, ongoing exhibition, publication, or performance record. This may include post-secondary student presentations and does not need to be 15 (or 8) consecutive years.
Guidelines link: https://dcaredesign.org/cola/
FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM WORKSHOPS
A series of online webinar workshops will be available from late September through early October. Webinar space is limited to 30 participants per webinar, and RSVPs are required at least two business days in advance.
Workshops/webinars link: https://dcaredesign.org/cola/workshop-schedule/
- Opens Monday, September 17, 2018
- Deadline to apply is October 26, 2018.
- Grant activity/projects will place between July 1, 2019, and June 30, 2020
- May/June 2019: Applicants will receive notification of results
Application link: https://dca-la.fluidreview.com/