Department of Cultural Affairs
October 25, 2019
Email Grants Division
The COLA Individual Artist Fellowship allows accomplished artists to create new work with increased freedom to innovate and experiment.
The Fellowship Program grant category honors a spectrum of the City’s most creative artists who:
- Are dedicated to an ongoing body of excellent work.
- Represent a relevant progression through their pieces or series.
- Exemplify a generation of core ideas in their field.
- Are respected by their peers and are role models for other artists because of their distinguished record.
Twelve to fifteen COLA Fellowships will be offered for designers/visual artists (including architects, graphic designers, and product designers such as fashion designers), literary artists (poets or fiction writers) and performing artists (including choreographers who wish to make and perform individual dance works, musicians who wish to compose and perform individual music works, and multi-disciplinary theater artists who wish to invent and perform solo works).
The Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) will organize a museum exhibition, a performing arts showcase, and an online catalog to document and market the selected artists and their new works as one cross-section of the exciting Los Angeles art scene.
Successful applicants are:
- Individual artists or an independent duos, who are professional masters of self-evolved ideas (not curators, presenters, or interpreters of other artists’ works).
- Current residents of Los Angeles County, who also demonstrate on their resumes that they either live in the City of Los Angeles or have a 3- or more year history of presenting work in the City of Los Angeles.
- Professionals who illustrate on their resume at least 15 years (8 years for choreographer-dancers) of a progressive, ongoing exhibition, publication, or performance record. This may include post-secondary student presentations and does not need to be 15 (or 8) consecutive years.
Guidelines link: https://dcaredesign.org/cola/
FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM WORKSHOPS
A series of online webinars and in-person workshops will be available from late September through early October. Webinar and workshop space is limited and RSVPs are required. Click on the link below for more details.
Workshops/webinars link: https://dcaredesign.org/cola/workshop-schedule/
- Opens Friday, September 20, 2019
- Deadline to apply is October 25, 2019
- Grant activity/projects will place between July 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021
- May/June 2020: Applicants will receive notification of results
Application link: https://dca-la.fluidreview.com/