COMMUNITY ARTS DIRECTOR
$100,119 to $146,368
Annual salary is at the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
A Community Arts Director oversees and provides leadership for an integral part of the Department of Cultural Affair’s service delivery system, providing art instruction and programming citywide; plans, organizes and directs the work of Art Center Directors engaged in the supervision of community arts programs in painting, sculpture, craft and ceramics, photography, dance and music activities; develops and promotes City sponsored community events and directs outreach projects to increase levels of participation in cultural affairs programs; applies sound supervisory principles and techniques in building and maintaining an effective work group; and fulfills equal employment opportunity responsibilities.
1. Two years of full-time paid professional experience with the City of Los Angeles as an Art Center Director II or in a position at that level directing and coordinating a fine arts program; or
2. Five years of full-time paid experience as an administrator of an organization responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, or administration of programs directed at cultivating and encouraging appreciation, interest, or participation in fine arts or cultural activities.
1. Applicants who lack six months or less of the above experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
2. A valid California driver’s license is required. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
3. Applicants applying under Requirement #1, must indicate the appropriate pay grade for each position listed on their application or the application may not be processed.
4. A degree in Art History, Fine Arts Instruction, Art, Music, Drama, Dance, Photography, or a related field is desired.
WHERE TO APPLY
Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the “Apply” icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Applications must be received by THURSDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2021.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs based on a random sampling of those qualified candidates. Applications submitted during the filing period may be kept on file in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
If you are interested in employment opportunities outside of the Department of Cultural Affairs, you can find a listing of City of Los Angeles job openings on the Personnel Department website.