The Warner Grand Theatre (WGT) opened in 1931, one of three Art Deco/Moderne “neighborhood picture palaces” built by Warner Brothers Studio in the Los Angeles area. Seating for 1,489 patrons is split between a main floor orchestra (889) and a mezzanine loge and balcony (600). While built as a movie theater, Warner Grand today features a proscenium stage (50′ W x 32′ D) with a T-guided flys system suited to presenting concerts, dance, musicals, comedy and drama, and film screenings.
The City of Los Angeles acquired Warner Grand Theatre in 1996 and assigned operations and programming to the Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA). Since that time, DCA has operated the facility as a low-cost rental and presenting house with a mission to make the facility and its resources available to artists and companies from around the City, and for use by local community groups and partners at an affordable cost.
In addition to an annual slate of perennial and new productions, Warner Grand Theatre is a familiar and popular site for filming and video of commercials, tv and film and music videos, and weddings and other special events.
Promotion and marketing of shows and events, equipment upgrades and restoration and renovation of the aesthetic features of the facility are accomplished through a partnership with Grand Vision Foundation, a San Pedro-based nonprofit that serves as the official Friends group of the Warner Grand Theatre.